Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sickie Soup

I've been really sick the last couple of days
not leaving my bed for the better part of the weekend.
tonight at about 8pm, I realized I hadn't had anything but a cup of tea all day
and I went on a hunt for nourishment.

scouring through the cupboards, I realized how much I love to cook.
so much so that I make everything from scratch.
even soup.
tell me this...
who doesn't keep at least one can of chicken noodle on hands for such under the weather occasions?
me. that's who.
and when you haven't showered in days and have been sneezing your head off, barely able to breathe or stand without feeling faint...who wants to go to the grocery store at 8 o'clock at night?

not me.

so I went looking for something, anything, that I could quickly throw together and eat to make me feel a little bit better.
then I remembered that I recently purchased a can of Organic Butternut Squash.
I had wondered what it would be like to cook with canned squash and threw it into the basket along side the rest of my groceries.
there is actually a recipe on the back of the can and I loosely based my soup on that.

I apologize for the super crappy photo but it was taken late at night.
in reality, the soup was a beautiful creamy caramel color
and it was sweet and tangy and spicy all at once.
there was enough for 2 large bowls.
you can easily double or triple this recipe for a crowd.


Butternut Squash Soup
1 can Organic Butternut Squash
2 cups Organic Apple Cider
1 cup Organic whipping cream
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of kosher salt

In a large saucepan, put in the apple cider and spices. Bring to a boil, whisking to immerse spices. Add the Butternut Squash and blend with a whisk until smooth. Add the cream and bring back to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until thick. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment